Global Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By End-user, By Region, and Segment Forecasts, 2023 - 2030
- Report Summary
- Table of Contents
- Download Sample
Pulmonary drug delivery devices are designed to deliver medication directly to the lungs through inhalation. These devices are used to administer various pharmaceuticals, including bronchodilators, corticosteroids, antibiotics, and other medications used to treat respiratory conditions such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis, and respiratory infections.
Global Pulmonary drug delivery devices market was valued at US $35.6 Bn in 2022 and is expected to reach US $48.5 Bn by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 5% during the forecast period 2023-2030.
Factors such as the surging incidence of respiratory ailments, continuous technological advancements, and a growing preference for pulmonary drug delivery as an alternative medication administration are driving the market's expansion.
The escalating prevalence and occurrence of respiratory conditions like asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases, and others within the population are on a rapid upward trajectory. This trend is expected to create a heightened demand for pulmonary drug delivery systems, propelling market growth. For example, as reported in an August 2022 article in the ERS Journal, projections indicate that by 2050, approximately 645.6 million people (comprising 454.4 million men and 191.2 million women) are expected to be afflicted with COPD, reflecting a 36% relative increase in global prevalence compared to the previous year. Consequently, the prevalence of COPD, a significant public health concern, is projected to surge, especially in emerging economies. This surge is anticipated to drive the demand for various drug delivery mechanisms, such as nebulizers and inhalers, thus catalyzing market growth throughout the forecast period.
COVID-19 Impact on Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market
COVID -19 has significantly impacted the healthcare industry, including the definition and perception of pulmonary drug delivery devices. While the core definition of pulmonary drug delivery devices remains unchanged (they are medical devices designed to deliver medication directly to the lungs through inhalation). The COVID-19 pandemic emphasized the importance of respiratory health. Pulmonary drug delivery devices have become more relevant and essential in the management and treatment of respiratory conditions, including COVID-19-related lung complications. Pulmonary drug delivery devices have been used to administer medications like bronchodilators, corticosteroids, and antiviral drugs to COVID-19 patients, especially those with severe respiratory symptoms. These devices played a critical role in delivering targeted therapies directly to the lungs.
The disruption in global supply chains due to COVID-19 impacted the availability of medical devices, including pulmonary drug delivery devices. This highlighted the need for robust and resilient supply chain management in the healthcare industry. The COVID-19 pandemic has underscored their significance in the management of respiratory diseases and emergencies. It has also influenced the way these devices are perceived, used, regulated, and integrated into modern healthcare systems, emphasizing their crucial role in delivering respiratory treatments and potentially influencing future developments in the field.
Factors Driving the Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market
Technological advancements in Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices
Technological advancements in pulmonary drug delivery devices have significantly improved the effectiveness, convenience, and user-friendliness of these devices. These innovations aim to enhance patient outcomes and make the treatment of respiratory conditions more efficient. Some advancement in pulmonary drug delivery devices are:
- Smart Inhalers: Smart inhalers are equipped with sensors and connectivity features that track and record medication usage. They help patients monitor their adherence to treatment plans and provide data to healthcare providers for better management of respiratory conditions.
- Digital Connectivity: Many inhalers can now connect to smartphones or other devices via Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. This connectivity enables patients to receive reminders, track their usage, and share data with healthcare professionals for personalized treatment adjustments.
- Dose Counters: Dose counters integrated into inhalers provide a visual indication of the number of doses remaining. This feature helps patients avoid running out of medication unexpectedly and ensures they receive the prescribed dose.
- Breath-Actuated Inhalers: Breath-actuated inhalers release medication only when the patient inhales, eliminating the need for coordination between inhalation and device activation. This technology ensures more consistent drug delivery.
- Dry Powder Inhalers (DPIs): DPIs have evolved to deliver medications in a fine powder form without the need for propellants or coordination. They are more environmentally friendly and easier to use for some patients.
- Nebulizer Improvements: Advances in nebulizer technology have led to smaller, portable nebulizers that can deliver medications quickly and efficiently. These devices are suitable for various patient populations, including children and the elderly.
- Vibrating Mesh Technology: Some nebulizers use vibrating mesh technology to create aerosols. This technology allows for precise control over particle size and is highly efficient in delivering medications to the lungs.
- Microfluidic Inhalers: Microfluidic inhalers use microscale channels to generate aerosols with precise control over droplet size and distribution. This technology can enhance drug delivery efficiency and reduce side effects.
- Environmental Considerations: Inhaler manufacturers are increasingly focused on reducing the environmental impact of their products. Environmentally friendly propellants, recyclable materials, and reduced waste are some of the innovations in this area.
- Biologics and Targeted Therapies: Advances in biotechnology have led to the development of inhalable biologics and targeted therapies for specific respiratory conditions. These therapies offer more effective and targeted treatments with fewer systemic side effects.
These technological advancements in pulmonary drug delivery devices not only improve treatment outcomes but also enhance the overall patient experience by making inhalation therapies more accessible, effective, and user-friendly. They represent a significant step forward in the management of respiratory conditions.
Strict regulations for pulmonary drug delivery devices approval
The regulatory landscape for pulmonary drug delivery devices can be strict and stringent to ensure patient safety, efficacy, and product quality. Regulations vary by country and region. Strict regulations are in place to protect patient safety, ensure product efficacy, and maintain the quality of pulmonary drug delivery devices. While compliance can be demanding and resource-intensive for manufacturers, it is essential to maintain the integrity of the healthcare system and build trust among healthcare professionals and patients who rely on these devices for the management of respiratory conditions.
Increasing collaboration of technology and healthcare sector
The collaboration between the technology and healthcare sectors in the context of pulmonary drug delivery devices has been increasing rapidly in recent years. This collaboration is driven by the desire to improve patient outcomes, enhance treatment efficiency, and provide more personalized care. The increasing collaboration between the technology and healthcare sectors is transforming the landscape of pulmonary drug delivery devices, making them more patient-centered, data-driven, and integrated into the broader healthcare ecosystem. This collaboration holds the potential to improve the management of respiratory conditions and enhance the overall quality of care for patients.
Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market Segmentation
The segmentation analysis of the pulmonary drug delivery devices market, focusing specifically on dry powder inhalers (DPIs), metered dose inhalers (MDIs), and nebulizers. These devices cater to diverse patient needs and therapeutic requirements, making them essential tools in the management of respiratory conditions such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
In 2022, the metered dose inhalers segment secured a market share of more than 60%, establishing its dominance in the global pulmonary drug delivery devices market. The innovative metered dose inhalers developed by key market players have gained significant consumer attention, solidifying this segment's leadership position worldwide. Enhanced consumer acceptance of these products, coupled with the growing prevalence of pulmonary diseases, has spurred the expansion of the metered dose inhalers segment.
Conversely, the nebulizers segment is projected to exhibit the most rapid growth during the forecast period. Nebulizers offer several advantages, including favourable reimbursement policies, user comfort, and the convenient administration of large doses, making them well-suited for both emergency and at-home use. Consequently, this segment is expected to experience rapid adoption in the foreseeable future.
The segmentation analysis of the pulmonary drug delivery devices market, focusing specifically on Allergic Rhinitis, Asthma, COPD and Cystic Fibrosis. The rapid growth of the COPD segment can be attributed to the high mortality and prevalence associated with this condition. Additionally, favourable reimbursement policies for COPD treatment and the increasing presence of governmental and non-governmental organizations offering COPD care contribute to the steady revenue growth within this segment. As a result of these factors, it is anticipated that the COPD segment will exhibit continuous growth.
By region, the market is divided into North America, Europe, APAC, and Others. Others is further divided into Middle East and South America.
Anticipated during the forecast period, North America is poised for robust expansion in the realm of pulmonary drug delivery systems. This growth can be attributed to several factors, including the escalating prevalence of respiratory ailments like asthma, allergic rhinitis, COPD, and others, along with an aging population, a heightened need for diagnostic devices, increased healthcare spending, and greater disposable income.
A primary catalyst for this market's growth is the increasing prevalence of respiratory diseases among the populace, which underscores the demand for drug delivery systems catering to diverse conditions. As an example, in a November 2021 article published by MDPI, a notable connection was identified. It was found that children in Mexico City who suffer from asthma exhibit a significant correlation with respiratory issues, which can be attributed to air pollution caused by traffic. This exacerbates the condition of individuals with asthma.
The presence of major market players within the country, with a focus on developing effective pulmonary drugs, coupled with the growing adoption of various business strategies like agreements, acquisitions, partnerships, and an increasing number of product launches, is poised to propel market growth.
For instance, in March 2022, a significant milestone was achieved as the US FDA granted approval for the first generic version of Symbicort (budesonide and formoterol fumarate dihydrate) Inhalation Aerosol. This approval was for the treatment of asthma in patients aged six and above, as well as for managing airflow obstruction and reducing exacerbations in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including chronic bronchitis and/or emphysema.
Consequently, the mounting burden of respiratory diseases and the heightened level of company activities and product introductions in the country are anticipated to be substantial driving forces for the North American region's market throughout the study period.
The competitive landscape of the pulmonary drug delivery devices market is characterized by a mix of established medical device manufacturers, pharmaceutical companies, and innovative start-ups. These companies compete to offer a wide range of devices aimed at effectively delivering medications to the lungs. Key factors influencing competition in this market include technological innovation, product quality, regulatory compliance, and market reach.
Recent Developments in the Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market
- April 2023: the Boost-UP Foundation, an independent private foundation, unveiled a new funding round for PurelMS, a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company. In addition to its ongoing investments, the foundation is actively seeking to encourage pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies to participate in preclinical research initiatives aimed at developing a wide range of compounds, both small and large, for both localized and systemic applications.
- March 2023: Recipharm, a leading Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization (CDMO), joined forces with Stevanato Group S.p.A., a globally recognized provider of pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry solutions for drug delivery, containment, and diagnostics. This partnership is aimed at incorporating pre-fillable syringes into Recipharm's soft mist inhalers. Stevanato Group will leverage its manufacturing expertise to support the development and production of these syringes. As part of this collaboration, Stevanato Group will supply and manufacture its glass pre-fillable syringe known as Alba. This syringe will be seamlessly integrated with Recipharm's gentle mist inhalation technology, known as the Pre-Filled Syringe Inhaler (PFSITM), utilizing the Integration Spray Module (ISMTM).
- September 2022: RIGImmune finalized an agreement to purchase Subintro, granting the biotech company entry into innovative topical delivery technologies. This strategic move enables RIGImmune to accelerate its progress in developing groundbreaking RNA therapies and vaccine adjuvants intended for localized mucosal administration.
- August 2022, Aptar Pharma secured a global license for the Orbital Dry Powder Inhaler (DPI). This acquisition positions Aptar Pharma to address the increasing worldwide need for the safe and user-friendly delivery of high-dose treatments to the respiratory system.
Table of Contents
1. Executive summary
2. MARKET INTRODUCTION
2.1 MARKET SCOPE
2.2 MARKET Definitions
3. research methodology
4. market outlook
4.1 Key Trends
4.2 GUIDELINES / REGULATIONS
4.3 COVID- 19 IMPACT ON GLOBAL Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices MARKET
4.4 MARKET DYNAMICS
188.8.131.52 Technological advancements
184.108.40.206 Growing respiratory disease burden
220.127.116.11 Growing preference for pulmonary drug delivery as an alternate route of drug delivery
18.104.22.168 Surge in number of initiatives undertaken by Government and other organizations
22.214.171.124 Strict regulations for drug delivery devices approval
126.96.36.199 Technical complexities in developing user-friendly inhalation devices
188.8.131.52 High research and development costs
184.108.40.206 Increasing collaboration of technology and healthcare sector
220.127.116.11 Trend toward personalized medicine and individualized treatment plans
18.104.22.168 High competition in market
22.214.171.124 Ensuring patient compliance with inhalation therapy
4.5 PriCing Analysis
4.6 PORTER’S FIVE FORCE MODEL
4.6.1 Threat of new entrants
4.6.2 Threat of substitute
4.6.3 Bargaining power of suppliers
4.6.4 Bargaining power of buyers
4.6.5 Intensity of competitive rivalry
5. GLOBAL Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices MARKET, By PRODUCT, MARKET ESTIMATION AND FORECAST, 2019-2032, value (USD million)
5.2 MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS
5.3 Dry Powder Inhalers
5.4 Metered Dose Inhalers
5.5.1 Jet Nebulizers
5.5.2 Soft Mist Nebulizers
5.5.3 Ultrasonic Nebulizers
6. GLOBAL Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices MARKET, BY disease, MARKET ESTIMATION AND FORECAST, 2019-2032, value (USD million)
6.2 MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS
6.3 Allergic Rhinitis
6.6 Cystic Fibrosis
7. GLOBAL Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices MARKET, BY end user, MARKET ESTIMATION AND FORECAST, 2019-2032, value (USD million)
7.2 MARKET SHARE ANALYSIS
7.4 Diagnostic Centers
8. GLOBAL Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices MARKET, REGIONAL ANALYSIS MARKET ESTIMATION AND FORECAST, 2019-2032, value (USD million)
8.2 NORTH AMERICA Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices MARKET
8.2.1 North America Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Country
8.2.2 North America Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Product
8.2.3 North America Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Disease
8.2.4 North America Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By End User
8.3 EUROPE Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices MARKET
8.3.1 Europe Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Country
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
8.3.2 Europe Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Product
8.3.3 Europe Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Disease
8.3.4 Europe Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By End User
8.4 ASIA PACIFIC Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices MARKET
8.4.1 Asia Pacific Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Country
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia Pacific
8.4.2 Asia Pacific Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Product
8.4.3 Asia Pacific Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Disease
8.4.4 Asia Pacific Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By End User
8.5 MIDDLE EAST & AFRICA Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices MARKET
8.5.1 Middle East & Africa Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Country
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle East & Africa
8.5.2 Middle East & Africa Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Product
8.5.3 Middle East & Africa Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Disease
8.5.4 Middle East & Africa Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By End User
8.6 SOUTH AMERICA Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices MARKET
8.6.1 South America Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Country
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
8.6.2 South America Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Product
8.6.3 South America Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By Disease
8.6.4 South America Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market, By End User
9. GLOBAL Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices MARKET, COMPETITIVE Intelligence
9.1 COMPETITIVE POSITIONING
9.2 competitor benchmarking
9.3 COMPETITIVE QUADrant
9.4 market share analysis, 2022 (%)
10. GLOBAL Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices MARKET, COMPANY ANALYSIS
10.1 3M Healthcare
10.1.1 Company Overview
10.1.1.1 Business outlook
10.1.1.4 Headcounts/ Employee strength
10.1.2 Financial Overview
10.1.2.2 R&D expenditure
10.1.2.3 Business segment sales share
10.1.2.4 Regional sales share
10.1.3 Product Offerings
10.1.4 SWOT Analysis
10.1.5 Key Developments (Expansion/New Product Development/Agreement/Mergers & Acquisitions, Partnership/Investment/Etc.)
10.5 Boehringer Ingelheim INTERNATIONAL GmbH
10.6 Briggs Healthcare
10.7 bristol-myers squibb company
10.8 Cipla Inc.
10.9 Clement Clarke International
10.10 f.Hoffman-la roche ltd.
10.11 GF Health Products, Inc.
10.12 Gilbert Technologies
10.13 GlaxoSmithKline plc
10.15 mannkind corporation
10.16 Merck & Co., Inc.
10.17 mylan n.v.
10.18 Novartis AG
10.19 omron corporation
10.20 PARI GmbH
10.21 Philips Respironics
10.22 shl group
10.23 sunovion pharmaceuticals inc.
10.24 Teva pharmaceutical industries ltd.
*Financials and Details May Not be Included in Case of Privately Held Company
Global Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices Market Segmentation
Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices by Device Type: Market Size & Forecast 2023-2030
- Dry powder inhalers (DPIs)
- Metered-dose inhalers (MDIs)
- Soft mist inhalers (SMIs)
- Nebulizer compressors
- Nebulizer accessories
Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices by Application: Market Size & Forecast 2023-2030
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Cystic fibrosis
- Respiratory infections
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Lung cancer
Pulmonary Drug Delivery Devices by Geography: Market Size & Forecast 2023-2030
- North America (USA, Canada, Mexico)
- Europe (Germany, UK, France, Russia, Italy, Rest of Europe)
- Asia-Pacific (China, Japan, South Korea, India, Southeast Asia, Rest of Asia-Pacific)
- South America (Brazil, Argentina, Columbia, Rest of South America)
- Middle East and Africa (Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, Nigeria, South Africa, Rest of MEA)
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- AstraZeneca plc
- Novartis AG
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Boehringer Ingelheim International GmbH
- 3M Company
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Cipla Limited
- Koninklijke Philips N.V.
- AptarGroup, Inc.
- PARI Pharma GmbH
- Bespak Europe Ltd.
- Omron Corporation
- Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- MannKind Corporation
- Aptar Pharma
- H&T Presspart Manufacturing Ltd.
- Glenmark Pharmaceuticals
- Lupin Limited
- APTAR CSP Technologies
- Chiesi Farmaceutici S.p.A.
- Novo Nordisk A/S
- Medtronic plc
- Vectura Group plc
- Mundipharma International Limited